My name is Mac Scarlatti and I'm 13. I used to live on a ranch (and still do on weekends), but now I'm discovering the world of town life and how great having friends can be.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Today is My Birthday

Hey, I'm new to the blogging world, but my cousin Emily and my friend Angelica insisted I must give it a try. And what better day to start than on your 13th birthday! I'll post a better introduction another day since on a ranch there never is enough time for more of an introduction than "I'm Mac, the cows are this way."

Even on your birthday you don't get to sleep in. Cameron--my 14-year-old brother--got me up at the usual 6am. At least he was polite enough to wish me a "Buon compleanno!" which is Italian for "Happy Birthday". My dad is constantly trying to get us kids to embrace our Italian heritage. I think we do pretty well most of the time.

Without further ado: the birthday party.
 My cake was a chocolate pudding cake. We had hamburgers and fruit as well.
 My cousin Rebecca came from NYC for a visit for my birthday. It was so good to see her again. Her family lived here for awhile, but couldn't adapt to the western lifestyle. Everyone sang to me in what was--probably--the worst sounding "Happy Birthday" ever. But it's the thought that counts.
 Rebecca loves her frilly clothes. I don't mind dressing up, but frills are just not for me.
 Angelica also dressed up in a cute sundress. I met Angelica when I was 8 and she was about 4. My mom and her dad worked at the same law firm.

After cake and the obligatory pictures, it was time to open presents. I couldn't believe what I got.

 A new saddle! My old saddle--though worn and used by my two older brother--was still in good enough condition I didn't think my parents would get me a new one. It's perfect in every way. I'll be using this one for a long time.

It was a fun party, but I was wiped out by the time is was over and I still had chores to do. Then my brothers gave me the second best present: They said they would feed the horses! I couldn't thank them enough. I went straight to my room and spent a few hours getting some much needed relaxation. After I got in my pajamas and snuggled with Rex--my Golden Retriever puppy--Angelica came in.
 She's taken over Cameron's room and Cam is sharing with Blake--who is 8--since he has a bunk bed. I asked her what she wanted and she said she just wanted to wish me one last "happy birthday." She seemed sad: I knew she had to miss her family.  In my family everyone is pretty tough. My dad doesn't care to show a lot of affection and my mom is always working. It's nice having Angelica around to cuddle.
I think I will miss having her around when her family comes back.

--Mac--

5 comments:

  1. Joyeux anniversaire, Mac! I'm Sabine Bouchard, and I am a 14 year old French girl from Lille.
    Congratulations on the new saddle- that must have been a fun gift to receive.
    I'm happy to know that you and Angelica are good friends. It must make things just a bit easier on her. I can relate- I sometimes miss my family, too.
    Bises,
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, Mac!

    We just started following Angelica's blog; it's cool that you have one too. Different perspectives are fun.

    All the girls in our family share a blog. (We're a family of nine sisters and our guardian, technically, plus some... other folks. It's complicated.)

    Nice to meet you, Mac. Your birthday party looks fun.

    Love,
    Felicity

    P.S. My youngest sister Evelyn is off at camp, but she'll be jealous when she finds out you get to be around horses all the time.

    P.P.S. Sorry for the deleted comment. It was the same as this but it didn't go through correctly and got messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Mac .. sounds like you had a wonderful birthday and even got off for awhile .. nice brothers ..

    I am Taryn and am new to my family so I am settling in here .. I sure am glad that you are there for Angelica .. it is hard to be in a new place at first ..

    Take care,
    Taryn

    ReplyDelete