My name is Mac Scarlatti and I'm 13. I used to live on a ranch (and still do on weekends), but now I'm discovering the world of town life and how great having friends can be.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Hot

I'm ready for winter.

Seriously, it's been way too hot this past week. Everyone is cranky including the cows. Chase got kicked on Friday and has been in a foul mood since. Daddy telling him to "suck it up" hasn't been helping either. Mom wants him to rest, but Daddy wants him to work. Poor Chase doesn't know what to do. I did his chores yesterday, and it was so miserable. I think I nearly got heat stroke. Angelica tolerates the hear even less than we do and she's been staying inside. Her dads visited over the weekend and she stayed with them and lucked out of the drama.

Sometimes living on a ranch sucks. I'm glad there is so many of us kids to help spread the chores around, but there is till constant work to be done. When school starts Daddy expects us to get up earlier to get our chores done before the bus comes. I am not looking forward to that.

But then something happens and I couldn't imagine not being surrounded by animals. Yesterday my filly--Fern--was perfect during our training session. It'll still be a few years before I can ride her, but there is plenty to teach her now. We do ground work and she did her backing  and turns perfectly. I was so proud of her! Cam and Evan were just as pleased to see the progress I'm making with her. She's going to be a great horse!

4 comments:

  1. Working on a ranch sounds like a lot of work .. we do know a little about the work you do .. some of us girls work at the stable where we board our horses .. it is hard work and we only do it a couple days a week ..

    We also did a dude ranch for a week one summer and got to see what all the cowboys do .. I bet you do most of what they do too .. that would be hard work but rewarding too I would think .. specially training your own horse and all ..

    Mama trained her colt too .. he was her barrel racing boy .. lol

    Hey we might come to Montana .. maybe we could meet up somewhere safe and say hello ..

    Taryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Taryn,
    It is rewarding being on the ranch. There is always something new to discover. That's so cool that your Mama trained a colt to barrel race. I bet it's fun to work at a stable. I would like to own a stable when I'm older.

    --Mac--

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been extremely hot here, too.
    Living on a ranch does sound exciting, though. There seems to be plenty of new things to look forward to. I'd like to visit a ranch in the future.
    Bises,
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, everyone having a hot summer is having the total opposite of us. Here it's been chilly and rainy, and we've only had a handful of truly sunny days. It's nice that there isn't beastly heat, but it hasn't really felt like summer.

    Congrats on your work with Fern.

    Love,
    The Green Girls

    ReplyDelete