My name is Mac Scarlatti and I'm 13. I used to live on a ranch (and still do on weekends), but now I'm discovering the world of town life and how great having friends can be.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

School is almost here

I am not ready for school.

I don't know what I'm dreading more: the hour bus ride (one way) or starting 8th grade and not knowing anyone. I wish I was going to school in the nearby town, like Chase does. The kids there are more like me: ranch kids. But my parents insist I go to a Catholic school. I have to grit my teeth and agree. At least Emily and Evan will be there, but they are in 7th grade.

The summer has went by so fast. It seems like it was just June. I've been spending a lot if time with Rex these past weeks. He's still bark-y around the horses so I've been training him to settle down around them. He's getting better and I hope to take him on a ride with Nicki. He needs to learn to be a proper ranch dog. It's funny because he doesn't mind the cows, but the horses still make him excited. Grant it he is still a puppy. A very cute one :)

A black and white cat has been hanging around the barn. She seems pretty friendly so I have been feeding her. Chase says I should just leave her alone, but it wouldn't hurt to have another barn cat. Izzy has been helping me sneak out food. Quite frankly, I think I miss Angelica's cat since  they went home for good a few days ago. I just have to be careful that Daddy doesn't find out. He will have a cow (not literally, of course) if he knows I'm wasting food on a stray cat. Our cats mostly eat what they catch and we leave out dry food. But I've been temping this cat with some wet food and leftovers from the fridge.

Alright I've rambled enough. I hope I don't become like Emily!

6 comments:

  1. Going to a new school is so tough. I can relate to that. I changed schools in May (when we moved) and it wasn't easy. I hope you'll like it after all, once you get used to it.

    Maybe you could pay for the cat's food yourself? Then your dad might not mind as much.

    Love,
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never even thought of buying the food myself. Thank you for the suggestion! I'll have to ask Chase to drive me to the store this week. I know he won't mind a chance to get away from the ranch.

    -Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I could help.

    As you know, I'm saving up for a horse... and although a horse is a lot bigger and more expensive than a cat, it's kind of the same idea. ;-)

    Love,
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first day of school is tomorrow...I'm nervous. I'm going into 9th grade. I cannot get over how weird it feels. It's still middle school in France, but here, it's high school! So nervous!
    Bises,
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard to be so far from your school too because you meet friends but cannot spend time with them either .. hope you have fun and enjoy your classes though ..

    It is funny how animals get excited over different things and not others .. Reeses our cocker spaniel does not care when other dogs or animals are doing anything .. but our gerbil Montana we rescued she loves her and gets all excited to watch her when she comes out of her house .. and loves to kiss her .. it is so funny .. she loves her gerbil ..

    We think that is a great idea to buy the food yourself .. it is always good to have a couple barn cats on a ranch .. lol

    Take care,
    Taryn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mac! I'm going to a new school this year as well, since we moved across the country this summer. It's kind of scary, but a little exciting in a weird way as well. Barn cats are awfully cute... but if you feed strays, they never leave! =P

    ReplyDelete