My name is Mac Scarlatti and I'm 13. I used to live on a ranch (and still do on weekends), but now I'm discovering the world of town life and how great having friends can be.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Horseback Riding

School is too boring to talk about, so I'm going to post about horseback riding instead. I can't wait for the weather to cool down and I can ride more. Right now it's still warm except very early in the morning.

First thing I had to do was brush Nicki out. If she had some dirt on her back when I put the saddle pad and saddle on it could rub and give her a sore. Plus brushing her is a good bounding time. I talk to her and tell her where we are going to ride and how pretty she is.
 Next the saddle pad goes on. The saddle goes on top and is cinched around her middle, which is a little large I have to admit. I need to ride her more often.
 Now were are ready to go!
 We followed my favorite trail. It's up a gentle slope and has the most shade. Nicki loves to trot and getting her to trot up the hill is good exercise for her.
 We rode for about an hour. Then it was time to do everything I did before the ride in reverse. Off goes the saddle, then the pad. I brushed her out again to get some air to her skin since her hair was flattened with sweat. And it's relaxing for both of  us.
 After that it's treat time! I always carry some apple slices or carrots in my saddle bag. She drools and foams up when she eats an apple and it is quite disgusting. But apples are her favorite and a bit of foamy slime never hurt anyone.
-Mac

2 comments:

  1. Hey, this is Summer. :-)

    Nicki is so pretty! I love appaloosas. Your pictures of the two of you are great.

    I ride English, but it's neat to see what Western riding is like.

    Love,
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello friend .. great to see you out riding too .. we just did a horseback trip .. well Mara and Sophie and Mara did .. I am honestly a little afraid of horses .. Angel did talk me into a little ride with her but not a long time ..

    Marsali usually rides english and so does Kelsyee .. we have both western and english saddles so people can ride what they like most ..

    Talk later,
    Taryn

    ReplyDelete